Early Bird Spoonbread with Cornmeal & Grits
Try this recipe for delicious spoonbread! Indulge your cravings with this one of a kind recipe.
- 1 cup Early Bird Pioneer White or Cali Gold Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Early Bird Pioneer White or Cali Gold Grits
- 2 1/2 cups cups water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs (seperated)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the cornmeal, grits, and water. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Beat in the butter, light cream, and salt.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl then beat them into the cornmeal mixture.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour the batter into a lightly buttered 8-inch square baking pan; bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned and puffy.
- Serve the spoonbread immediately with butter.
Indulge in the rustic charm of Early Bird Spoonbread, a delightful Southern classic infused with wholesome goodness. This comforting dish elevates traditional spoonbread by marrying the hearty flavors of cornmeal and grits from the nearby local flour mill with the sweetness of freshly harvested local corn. The result is a velvety, custard-like texture that embraces the essence of whole grains. Elevate your breakfast or dinner table with this harmonious blend of tradition and locality, as each spoonful transports you to a simpler, more flavorful time.