Early Bird Spoonbread with Cornmeal & Grits
Try this recipe for delicious spoonbread! Indulge your cravings with this one of a kind recipe.
- 1 cup Early Bird Pioneer White or Cali Gold Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Early Bird Pioneer White or Cali Gold Grits
- 2 1/2 cups cups water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs (seperated)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the cornmeal, grits, and water. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Beat in the butter, light cream, and salt.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl then beat them into the cornmeal mixture.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour the batter into a lightly buttered 8-inch square baking pan; bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned and puffy.
- Serve the spoonbread immediately with butter.