Early Bird Farm & Mill Stone Ground Cheesy Grits (or Rainbow Popcorn Grits!)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 1/4 cup Milk (divided)
- 1 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 1 cup Early Bird Farm & Mill Corn Grits (or Rainbow Popcorn)
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground gourmet pepper or black pepper
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Place water, 1 cup milk and salt into a large pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add Early Bird Farm & Mill Grits or Early Bird Farm & Mill Gourmet Rainbow Popcorn while continually whisking. Using Early Bird Gourmet Rainbow Popcorn as a substitute for grits is a trick a Jamaican friend taught me. Once all of the grits have been incorporated, lower the heat to low and simmer. Whisk frequently, every 3 to 4 minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent scratching your pot while stirring and scraping the bottom to prevent sticking and burning the bottom of the mixture. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until creamy. The longer you cook it, the sweeter it gets! Feel free to add water and simmer longer for a sweeter taste.
- Add ¼ cup milk or heavy cream and continue to simmer 5-10 minutes, whisking almost constantly, until it thickens. Giving love and attention to grits has its reward… an easy pan to clean, and a nice smooth texture, and the perfect sweetness of flavor that comes with the time spent cooking the grits on a regular basis.
- Remove from heat, add pepper and butter, whisk to combine, and taste. Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time. For an island style of flavor, use coconut oil instead of butter. Serve immediately.