Early Bird Farm Jambalaya Grits
Early Bird Farm's twist on a Cajun Favorite. Enjoy our famous grits with a Cajun twist.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 pound andouille or other smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 pound boiled ham, cut into small dice
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped vine-ripened tomato
- 6 cups milk
- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
- 1/4 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Thoroughly coat with nonstick spray a heavy 9-inch skillet, preferably cast-iron, or less desirably, an 8 X 8-inch glass baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs until foamy, then whisk in the buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk just until blended. Pour the batter into the skillet or pan.
- Bake until the top is browned and the center feels firm when pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately from the pan, cut in wedges or squares.