Early Bird Farm Jambalaya Grits
Early Bird Farm's twist on a Cajun Favorite. Enjoy our famous grits with a Cajun twist.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
- 1/4 pound andouille or other smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 pound boiled ham, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped vine-ripened tomato
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup Early Bird Farm & Mill Cali Gold Grits
- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over moderate heat.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently and season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Add sausage and ham and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomato and milk, turn heat to low, and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add grits and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp and stir.
- Cook until grits are smooth and all liquid is gone, about 30 minutes.
- Add green onions and shredded cheese, and stir in the cheese as it melts. Serve Immediately and enjoy!