Authentic Old World Italian Focaccia
Indulge in a delicious and authentic Focaccia recipe guaranteed to delight your taste buds.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 2 1/4 cups Senatore Cappelli Wheat Flour OR Frassinetto Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 9 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 grinding black pepper
- 1 pinch dried basil
- sprinkle sea salt
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the water and mix.
- Add the olive oil and mix to form a soft dough. Knead for about ten minutes on a floured surface.
- Return the dough into the lightly floured mixing bowl and cover with lid. Leave to proof in a warm place for 40 – 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Remove it and knock back on a floured surface and roll out to an 8" x10" oblong.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Make 9 holes in the dough with your finger (see photo) and place a sprig of rosemary in each hole.
- Sprinkle on the garlic and brush on the olive oil.
- Add the black pepper and basil.
- Then cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise again, at a warmish temperature, for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle on sea salt.
- Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes or so.
Experience the timeless allure of Authentic Old World Italian Focaccia, a culinary masterpiece that pays homage to heritage grains and the art of artisanal baking. This classic recipe seamlessly weaves the rich history of whole wheat, as you are invited to use our locally grown Alpowa soft white wheat and heritage Iraqi durum wheat, sourced from nearby fields and ground here at our local flour mill. The result is a golden-brown, airy focaccia that boasts a delicate balance of flavors – a symphony of ancient grains meeting the present day. Elevate your senses with each tender bite, savoring the marriage of tradition and locality in this delectable creation. Enjoy!