Authentic Old World Italian Focaccia
Indulge in a delicious and authentic Focaccia recipe guaranteed to delight your taste buds.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 2 1/4 cups Senatore Cappelli Wheat Flour OR Frassinetto Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 9 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 grinding black pepper
- 1 pinch dried basil
- sprinkle sea salt
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the water and mix.
- Add the olive oil and mix to form a soft dough. Knead for about ten minutes on a floured surface.
- Return the dough into the lightly floured mixing bowl and cover with lid. Leave to proof in a warm place for 40 – 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Remove it and knock back on a floured surface and roll out to an 8" x10" oblong.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Make 9 holes in the dough with your finger (see photo) and place a sprig of rosemary in each hole.
- Sprinkle on the garlic and brush on the olive oil.
- Add the black pepper and basil.
- Then cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise again, at a warmish temperature, for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle on sea salt.
- Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes or so.